SEND Reviews evaluate the effectiveness of provision for pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities
Whole School SEND review materials are used to evaluate the effectiveness of provision for pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities. A report outlining strengths as well as identifying areas for development is produced, including recommendations for moving forward.
What happens during a SEND Review?
Schools are required to complete a self-evaluation form before the review takes place. This can provide us with some useful information and help the school to focus on what it does well and areas for development. It is recommended that the SENCO and a member of the SLT complete the self- evaluation together. Information regarding activities which might be included in the review day and required paperwork are detailed below.
SEND Review Programme Activities
Gathering views from a range of stakeholders including the Head teacher, SENCO, Pupils, Class teachers, Parents, Support agencies
Observation of intervention session for pupils with SEND
A tour of school
Review of Case studies
Observation of unstructured activities
(The school can decide how they would like the day to be structured)
Statutory policies relating to SEND
Current Progress data, including pre/post intervention data
Comparative data for SEND pupils
SEND development / action plans
External Reviews or reports
Exemplar pupil passports / provision plans or similar
CPD Programme for staff relating to SEND
(some of this will take place prior to the review day)
45 schools have already requested a SEND Review this year, 13 of which have been successfully completed (as of January 2020).
One AHT fed back; “What I found most useful was that we had SEND experts with practical experience to share. A very supportive process”.
- Tom Ashley (BEP Inclusion Director)
- Tracy Ruddle (Director of Continuous School Improvement)
- RT @MissOClifton: Brilliant day at the @BEPvoice leading primary geography event led by John from @The_GA. Here are @MrPowerClifton and I l…
- @MissOClifton @The_GA @MrPowerClifton @CliftonPrim @MrsBhachu So glad to hear you found it useful! The GA are just… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- Great to have one of Birmingham's Geography SLEs join us! So much expertise in one room💪 twitter.com/mattjamesdunne…
- Developing academic language in Geography! Talk and create a physical landscape. Then design a key.👏 https://t.co/iZX9bkZPad