BEP is committed to enabling schools to become emotionally supportive and resilient communities for all of its pupils.
The important and challenging role of schools in the early intervention, prevention and management of mental and emotional health is becoming more evident.
Birmingham Education Partnership is working with the NHS, Public Health, Local Authority, Forward Thinking Birmingham, the Voluntary Sector and other strategic partners to shape the future mental health provision for schools in Birmingham. The NewStart programme, funded by the NHS, is BEP’s pilot programme to influence mainstream secondary school systems in the city.
The NewStart programme is currently working with 19 secondary schools in Birmingham using a whole school approach to help schools identify earlier those pupils who may be vulnerable to poor mental health and build resilience in order to improve academic, social and emotional outcomes.
NewStart is an expert-led approach to whole school improvement for resilience.
Currently funded by the NHS, NewStart reflects and responds to emerging national recommendations around whole school approaches. The NewStart team aim to work with up to 40 secondary schools by Summer 2017. This asset-building approach helps school leaders to develop sustainable, whole school and targeted systems that build resilience approaches to support pupils and staff and raise achievement over time in school.
Our school improvement resilience leads are highly experienced education professionals with extensive experience in schools and social and emotional development programmes. Trained by YoungMinds and Brighton University in the Academic Resilience Approach and overseen by a clinical lead through Birmingham Education Partnership, the team are working through a publicly funded programme to:
- Offer consultancy to review school ethos, culture, systems and processes around Emotional Health and Wellbeing.
- Coach and train key staff to understand the school’s circumstances, the tools available and how to apply them to move learning into sustainable action.
- Help schools to use tried and tested methods to identify pupils who are vulnerable to poor outcomes (both education and wellbeing) and step up support sooner through whole school and targeted approaches.
- Lead differentiated training to your staff on resilience and emotional wellbeing.
- Strengthen the pupil voice in your school by building resilience through engagement with young people.
- Provide opportunities to share practice and undertake CPD with colleagues and professionals across the city.
As an asset-building approach rather than a prescriptive programme NewStart seeks to build strength and confidence within existing school systems.
The NewStart team are working in partnership with services across the city to inform and shape future mental health developments for schools.
View and book one of our current Mental Health First-Aid training sessions.