The Association of Central Teaching Schools (ACTS) is made up of 14 Teaching Schools (TSs) and their alliances.
National Teaching Schools are designated by the DfE to support school Improvement.
ACTS works closely with BEP in the shaping of the current educational strategy and the delivery of school improvement activity. Tracy Ruddle, BEP DCSI, is the Teaching School Council Sub-Regional Lead for Birmingham and meets with the group each half term to broker support and challenge for individual schools as well as commissioning city wide CPD for areas of development.
ACTS is an integral part of BEP’s system leadership & school to school support work and Teaching Schools lead in the following areas:
- delivering school-led initial teacher training (ITT), including School Direct
- providing tailored continuing professional development to staff across and beyond their alliances
- supporting other schools, including working with a school or academy in challenging circumstances to bring about improvement
- identifying and developing future leaders
- recruiting and managing specialist leaders of education: outstanding middle and senior leaders who develop leaders in other schools
The ACTS website and associated CPD provided by each TSA can be accessed here.